Unregistered Vehicle Transfers In Victoria.

I’ve traded a lot of unregistered cars to both offload and fix up in Victoria and Queensland.  This week’s article is focused on buying and selling unregistered cars in Victoria.  I’ve had some straight forward experiences with selling cars “as is, where is”, unregistered but I do recall on one occasion the buyers thought they were buying rolls Royce for a paupers price so to speak and that created some issues.  The long and short of buying and selling unregistered vehicles in Victoria is that you can.  Motor vehicles can be sold with registration or without a Victorian registration – in other words sold as an unregistered vehicle.     At the time of writing, motor vehicle buyers who purchased registered motor vehicles were required to lodge the applications to transfer the car registration within fourteen (14) days of the sale of the car in Victoria.

Some people regulars at buying unregistered vehicles and generally do so for the purposes of renovation and flipping.

We wrote a more detailed article in another section about transferring unregistered vehicles.

Buying a car from a Melbourne motor vehicle dealer

Responsibilities of the parties differ whether the car is a registered or an unregistered motor vehicle.  When buying a car from a licenced motor vehicle dealer, the dealer is responsible for sending the paperwork to the roads and transport authority office also known in Victoria as Vicroads.    The Vic Roads website is a good place to start and recommended for more information.  The site offers quite an extensive reading list and most of this article have been sourced from the Vic Roads website.

Just a note of car registration stickers in New South Wales.  As far as it goes Registration stickers for certain classes of vehicles aren’t used in New South Wales as from January 1st, 2013.  See Link Here.

Having all the steps laid out in advance of the changeover of the motor vehicle will save a lot of stress and hassle of mucking things up selling your unregistered car and doing double trips to VicRoads and queuing and waiting in those horrible VicRoads lineups they have on busy days.

Registered car sales:

Registered vehicles: have to be sold with a Certificate of Roadworthiness (RWC) or commonly referred as a roadworthy certificate. Transfer of the vehicles registration can still take effect up to 3 months after it (the vehicles registration) expires. After this time, the registration will be cancelled. Please check this on the VicRoads website as this information can change at any time and I am not always updating this websites information. Telephone or drop in personally to a VicRoads branch location and they will advise either in person or on their website as it is the Sellers responsibilities with a registered car sold in Victoria to provide the buyer with a Certificate of Roadworthiness that is no more than 30 days old when the sale of the motor vehicle takes place.

Application For Transfer of Registration Form – VicRoads

For Motor Vehicle SellersFill in the ‘seller’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form – Click here for VicRoads “Forms” Page.  Note: The seller is required to inform the buyer in writing whether the vehicle is entered on any Written-off Vehicle Register either in Victoria or interstate. This can be done by ticking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ in the appropriate section of the Transfer form.

For Motor Vehicle BuyersComplete the ‘buyer’ part of the Application for Transfer of Registration form [Click Here if you are doing a private transfer of a motor vehicle] submit the form, Certificate of Roadworthiness, receipt of sale, transfer fee and Motor Vehicle Duty (see Transfer and motor vehicle duty fees) to VicRoads within 14 days of the sale.

Unregistered Car Sales:

For sellers: An unregistered car in Victoria can be sold without a Roadworthy Certificate, however, the seller is required to cancel the registration and remove the number plates from the vehicle and have these number plates returned to VicRoads.  You can get a refund on the registration fees paid if applicable but you need to discuss more this with VicRoads.

For buyers of unregistered vehicles: The buyer needs to ask for a receipt.  If you need an example of a transaction receipt there’s an example buyers and sellers receipt here.  This will provide sufficient proof of purchase and ownership of the vehicle.  Normally, unregistered vehicles are transacted at a low price (usually under $1,000) and therefore in a lot of cases cash receipts are given anyway.  The next step is to get an unregistered vehicle permit.  Most states have these types of permits which allow buyers of unregistered vehicles the ability to drive the vehicle home or to the transport department to get the vehicle registered.  Never drive an unregistered vehicle on the road in any state.  It is a serious offence and the fines are extremely high.  How high you say?  Just to give you an idea:

It is a criminal offence to use an unregistered motor vehicle or trailer on public roads or to own an unregistered motor vehicle or trailer that is used by anyone on public roads. To use a motor vehicle or trailer is to drive it, tow it or leave it parked on a public road, footpath, driveway or car park. The maximum penalty for a first offence for an individual is 25 penalty units or $3690*. The maximum penalty for a first offence for a company is 125 penalty units or $18451*. Source.

error: Content is protected !!